Monday, August 9, 2010

I Want Your Reaction!!

There was a recent magazine article where supermodel Gisele Bundchen made the comment that breastfeeding until 6 months should be enforced by law.

Of course- this comment drew wild criticism and people are up in arms abut her criticizing formula feeding moms.

A doctor, Dr. Jay Gordon,  has written a response to this in an article on the Huffington Post:

"Gisele Bundchen- Nutrition Expert?

Yes!

In a recent magazine article, Ms. Bundchen was quoted saying that breastfeeding should be the legal norm for all babies for the first six months of life.

Of course, this generated a storm of protest about "feeding choices" and whether or not we should listen to someone with her lack of credentials. Lost in the fabricated drama and controversy is the fact the we must listen if her advice and high profile can save babies' lives. I'm sure that this one famous mother's words will be heard and heeded by more mothers than we pediatricians can possibly reach. (Ms. Bundchen's statement that post partum weight loss is faster because of breastfeeding is very much in line with current medical literature and will certainly appeal to most new mothers.)

It's easy to misinterpret a forceful metaphorical statement about "chemical food"--infant formula--and the crucial lifesaving value of breastfeeding for six months. And, that's exactly what pundits did to turn this into an "us against them" issue. "How dare she . . . "

While it is tragic that a supermodel-mom dispenses better advice than many doctors and most governmental agencies, it's impossible to misinterpret what the World Health Organization says about these artificial (chemical) feeding options:
The protection, promotion and support of breastfeeding rank among the most effective interventions to improve child survival. It is estimated that high coverage of optimal breastfeeding practices could avert 13 percent of the 10.6 million deaths of children under five years occurring globally every year. Exclusive breastfeeding in the first six months of life is particularly beneficial, and infants who are not breastfed in the first month of life may be as much as 25 times more likely to die than infants who are exclusively breastfed." ...
There is a common misconception that in emergencies, many mothers can no longer breastfeed adequately due to stress or inadequate nutrition, and hence the need to provide infant formula and other milk products. Stress can temporarily interfere with the flow of breast milk; however, it is not likely to inhibit breast-milk production, provided mothers and infants remain together and are adequately supported to initiate and continue breastfeeding. Mothers who lack food or who are malnourished can still breastfeed adequately, hence extra fluids and foods for them will help to protect their health and well-being.
If supplies of infant formula and/or powdered milks are widely available, mothers who might otherwise breastfeed might needlessly start giving artificial feeds. This exposes many infants and young children to increased risk of disease and death, especially from diarrhea when clean water is scarce. The use of feeding bottles only adds further to the risk of infection as they are difficult to clean properly."
Moreover, not breastfeeding has been found to double the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)

Read just one sentence above aloud:
"Infants who are not breastfed in the first month of life may be as much as 25 times more likely to die than infants who are exclusively breastfed."

No parent in America is allowed to let their infant travel in a car in the "second best" way possible: Car seats are the law in all 50 states. A breastfeeding law will not be passed soon, but there is a moral, ethical and medical imperative to get this nutrition information to mothers and families any way we can. Hyperbole is easy to ridicule but, in this case, the hyperbole will prevent the deaths of many, many babies worldwide.

The World Health Organization estimates that one-and-a-half million babies die from lack of breast milk each year. 1,500,000. 
 
If Gisele Bundchen's magazine interview, comments and the resultant furor cause more mothers in developing nations to breastfeed, thousands and perhaps tens of thousands of babies will be alive a year, two years or five years from now who might otherwise have succumbed to diseases caused or fatally exacerbated by lack of mother's milk.

I certainly wish that this legal proposal/metaphor had been issued by the government, health insurers or the American Academy of Pediatrics. In lieu of those recommendations, the very intelligent suggestion of a really smart mom will have to do."

(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jay-gordon/gisele-bundchen-nutrition_b_675130.html)

Now- I want your opinion!!! What do you think? Should people really speak up and share the facts of breastfeeding? Should doctors use stronger language warning of the risks of formula feeding? Should we all just keep our mouths shut and be supportive?

My opinion, if anyone cares, is somewhere in the middle. I strongly support breastfeeding. I think everyone who has children needs to breastfeed their child. Nursing is hard, and I think education is hugely lacking in our country to help Mom's successfully nurse. I think doctors and professionals, as well as Mom's, should make breastfeeding the norm. Not "What is BEST" just "what you do" when you have a child.

But, I also strongly believe that being a Mom is so freaking hard, that attacking each other in such a mean way is completely unnecessary. I just try and reach out to my friends who are pregnant and talk to them about breastfeeding, offer my support and let them know that I am here if they need anything while beginning the breastfeeding journey.

Share your thoughts!!!!!!What do you think???

3 comments:

  1. It's a touchy subject.

    Since I had such an easy time with breastfeeding (Evan latched on without any problems, after the first feeding of course), I'm all in favor of nursing as much and as long as possible. I know that other women, whether they are educated on the subject or not, may choose otherwise.

    All the research out there says that breastfeeding is best. Then again, so is wearing your seatbelt and people still don't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is a touchy subject.

    I formula feed my daughter (who is now 6 months). My reasons were medical. I know many mothers say, "I wasn't producing enough," when realistically they could just stick it out and eventually their supply is adequate. BUT, for me, it really was a supply problem. It was even verified by a doctor. My daughter was losing weight and would cry and scream at EVERY feeding because she was soo hungry. I tried. I cried. I wanted to provide the nutrition for my daughter, but it just wasn't working. While also battling a mild case of post-partum depression, I made the choice for my family to stop breastfeeding and go the formula route. I didn't like it, but I did it because otherwise my daughter would continue losing weight and could possibly face problems because of it.

    I understand that breastfeeding is the best possible source for nutrition for our children. I agree 100% with it and encourage every mother friend of mine to do so. I just don't think that the above article would be one that I would share with a pregnant friend. It seems more like a scare tactic than a helpful, encouraging, and informational article.

    Most children that die because of "lack of breastfeeding" are in underdeveloped countries. I do believe wholeheartedly that these mothers should receive the encouragement and information to help their babies survive. However, I think that information (like that written in the above article) is misleading to women in the United States. Sort of like, "If you don't breastfeed, your baby is going to die." I provide a safe enviornment for my child, take precautions to keep her clean and her play areas sanitized, and feed her and my family organic foods, milk, etc. I don't think that she will be disadvantaged just because she didn't get breastmilk, even with all the other positives in place. Just my thoughts. :)

    And thank you for your blog, I love following your writings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for both of your insights!

    It is so hard to be a Mom these days- it seems like we can never be perfect. The worst thing we can all do is make each other feel bad about ourselves for just doing our very best.

    Thanks Erin and Mattie for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete