Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Lunch Ideas for Toddlers

Here is the second in a series of ideas on what you can feed your toddler. I first posted about some breakfast ideas- not because I think my ideas are amazing... No way! I actually just wanted to start a conversation where us parents can share ideas to hopefully, make all of our lives easier!

I am hoping that in each of these posts, several people will generate ideas so we all can have an easier time preparing healthy food for our children. I know I am running in a hundred different directions, so when I realize "oh no! It's already meal time!", I struggle to come up with new creative ideas.

Here are some of my favorite lunch menus:

Chicken, Ham or Turkey- I cannot really afford organic lunch meats, but I do get Boar's Head meats because they have no preservatives and no additives.

Cheese- my son does not drink cow's milk, he does not like it. So, I supplement with lots of other wholesome dairy. I try and mix it up with different varieties, and not just the plain mild cheeses. I give him some of the more unique flavors too. Be careful about added preservatives and artificial coloring.

Cut veggies- Of course, carrots and celery are favorites- but don't forget the bell peppers, green beans, broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes and more! (I cut the veggies when I get home from the store so snack sized portions are readily available)

Fruit- A staple in our house, just like the veggies. Also- try and see if your child likes to eat the whole fruit. My son flips out when I give him a whole apple, peach or other fruit. He is occupied for a long time and feels like such a BIG boy, haha!

Annie's Organic Mac and Cheese- Love it!

Grilled Cheese- I add meats for protein when I feel my son needs it

Quesadilla- I add meat and veggies too- for a more complete meal

Turkey meatballs and sauce- You can modify your favorite meatball recipe to fit any meats you allow your toddler to consume. If you are vegetarian, you can also make them with beans and other legumes.

Dips- My son likes to dip anything fruit, veggies, sometimes even things that don't seem 'dip-able'. I give him yogurt, unsweetened applesauce, hummus, guacamole, salsa...


So- here are my few ideas. What about you? What are your lunch favorites for your toddler?? Leave a comment and let me know!

3 comments:

  1. S, I'm so that you're posting these ideas, as well as the breakfast ones. Now that Evan is going to be a toddler (yikes!) I don't want him to have "baby" food while we eat "adult" food. Thanks again for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! Don't forget to add some of your ideas that you come up with in the coming months...I get into ruts and start serving the same things.

    I basically give Matthew everything I eat, unless we are having something less than healthy. It has helped us become better eaters too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What other kinds of dairy do you give your son? My two year old can't stand milk so I'm often at a lose about what to give him. Thanks for the info about Boars Head. Do you know of any other brands that also have no preservatives or additives?

    ReplyDelete