Saturday, January 2, 2010

My Favorite Easy Breakfast

I am not a morning person- and somehow my son was born with a love of waking before the sun comes up. He is always in a happy mood, so that does help, but it is always hard for me to get going. So I LOVE when breakfast is not a big ordeal. Of course, I always focus on health, but easiness is always a plus.

My favorite breakfast is organic instant oatmeal with organic no sugar added applesauce.













You can buy a box of organic instant oatmeal at a place like Whole Foods, but they even have it at my local grocery store. (I always buy it at Fry's. It is cheap and goes on sale and is certified organic).

Now, most people like oatmeal with brown sugar mixed in, or at least the fruit already in the package. This is not the best if you are trying to stay away from sugar. Read the label- too much sugar!! So I buy the plain one and mix in my own fruit (or leave it plain).

I used to buy whatever organic fruit was in season, plums, peaches, pears...anything works. BUT you have to chop, puree, clean...which is not so hard, but that is a lot of work when you are not a morning person. So my favorite is to mix in some organic, no sugar added applesauce. It lasts forever and is really inexpensive.

Here is a great cost saving tip: If you have a baby or toddler who does not eat a whole packet of oatmeal yet, ignore the directions and just put a little bit of water in a mug, heat it up in the microwave for about 1 minute 30 seconds and pour in the oatmeal until it is the desired consistency. Put the rest of the oatmeal from that packet into a ziplock bag and save it for another day. My son (who eats a ton) usually has about 3 bowls from one packet.

Easy, nutritious, and cost effective! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment