This recipe comes from 100 Days of Real Food, where a family of 4 cut out all processes food and only ate "real" food for 100 days. It has now become a lifestyle for them and they blog about healthy eating.
"Easy Cheesy Crackers
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into tablespoon size chunks
- 4 oz. or 1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese…the sharper the cheese the cheesier the crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all three ingredients in a food processor and blend. The mixture will eventually turn into one big ball chasing itself around the bowl. Be patient because it can take a few minutes.
- Roll the ball into a log about 1 ½” in diameter. At this point you could refrigerate the dough until later.
- With a sharp knife slice ¼” thick pieces off the log (pictured) and place each one flat on an ungreased baking sheet. Try to rotate which side you are cutting down on because the top of the log does start to flatten a little. It is like your very own homemade slice and bake!
- If you want your crackers to look a little fancy (as pictured above) take a fork and gently mash down the top of each one before baking.
- Bake for 12 – 14 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: Two dozen"