Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hospitals Lack Breastfeeding Support for Moms

According to the CDC- there is a lack of support from hospitals for breastfeeding mothers.

Check out this article that states that less than 4% of hospitals are doing everything they can to help breastfeeding efforts.

I know that at Banner Good Samaritan, I had a good experience. I was allowed to room in with both my sons, I was able to breastfeed within 30 minutes of delivery and I was offered access to lactation consultants. My only complaint? Formula was everywhere! Now, I have no issue with formula in the world- it serves a wonderful purpose. BUT it can seriously derail a Mom's efforts to breastfeed when free cans are just handed out without further education.

What do you think? How was your hospital experience?

3 comments:

  1. St. Joe's was pretty ok. I was able to nurse Evan once in the recovery room (although they offered to give him a bottle if I wanted) and had access to lactation consultants on call. They did however push formula on us when E developed jaundice and we were given a Similac diaper bag full of formula/bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. I have read a lot about formula and jaundice lately...would you do it again? Were you given an option, or was it decided for you?

    I don't know enough about it either way. I mean, my first thought is...what did they do before formula when a baby was jaundiced? What did they tell you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well from some research I have done, the use of pitocin can lead to jaundice in babies as well.

    They said we could to let him sleep longer since he was under the lamps. (I was uneducated in that matter since it never occurred to me that my child would have jaundice.) We chose to use a syringe to feed him rather than a bottle.

    Would I do it again...no. I would hold/nurse my baby while he was kept under a photo-optic bilirubin-blanket.

    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/breastfeeding/breastfeeding-special-situations/babies-jaundice.

    ReplyDelete