Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Breakfast ideas for toddlers

If you are like me, mornings are a fuzzy time. My son happens to be a very early riser. Around 5:30-6am everyday. I am more inclined to sleep until 9am...so obviously, being creative at breakfast is not an easy task.

However, I do like to offer a variety of options for my son to increase his tastes and offer many nutritious options. I figured that it might be helpful to list some of our morning menus to give you some new ideas! Hopefully, you will be inspired to do the same so I can get some new plates into our repetoire as well.

- Instant Organic Oatmeal mixed with organic unsweetened applesauce. (they make a variety of flavors of applesauce to make it more exciting)

- Scrambled eggs (I only buy free range, organic)

- Dry cereal (I stick to no sugar, organic, whole wheat varieties)

- Omelets (mixed with anything I have in the fridge. Onions, peppers, ham, turkey, cheese, broccoli, etc.)

- Whole Wheat toast with banana spread (just mush up part of a banana and spread it on top instead of butter or jelly)

- Breakfast burritos- whole wheat organic tortillas with eggs, ham, turkey or chicken and some cheese and veggies

- Organic no refined sugar added waffles or pancakes (they sell many varieties at Whole Foods made of flax seed, whole wheat, gluten free, etc.) Instead of butter and syrup, I use a fruit puree and let my son dip his waffles or pancakes...he loves to dip!

- Any fruit on Earth, haha. My son loves fruit and I usually give him a bowl full with breakfast

- Cheese and fruit platter. My son is not a huge milk lover yet (still likes mama's milk best) so I am diligent to give him lots of other dairy for his calcium

- Yogurt. I only buy organic or greek (normal yogurt has lots of sugar added and other nasty preservatives. Check the labels!) My son also loves to dip fruit, toast or waffles in yogurt.

I will post lunch and dinner ideas soon! Let me know- What are your favorite breakfast items?

No comments:

Post a Comment