Thursday, December 10, 2009

First Foods

It is so exciting when you finally get to share the joy of solids with your baby! (plus, even if you love breastfeeding, it is nice knowing there is another food source!). Now, of course, I am not a doctor, and you should always check with your pediatrician first- but I have done lots of reading and research about first foods and want to share my experience.

Now, most health care professionals recommend that babies are exclusively breastfeed (or formula-fed if that is your decision) until 6 months old. At 6 months, you can begin solids!

What can you give them? Many people still feel that you need to feed your baby rice cereal for their first food. This does not have to be the case! You can start with fruits or vegetables if you would like. Just be sure to be careful of food allergies and remember to wait 3-4 days in between introducing each new food to watch for bad reactions.

I decided that I wanted to skip the rice cereal and started with avocados, pears, zucchini, sweet potatoes, green beans...and so on!

I also read and decided that I would not only stick to bland veggies and fruits...My son had roasted red peppers, broccoli, beets, salsa and I added spices to the veggies after I knew he had no allergies such as garlic, rosemary, oregano, thyme...and more!

Now, he eats almost anything and is not at all picky and I feel that it is because I have given him variety, spice and choice from his first bite!


We want to know...What was your baby's first food??

2 comments:

  1. My son just turned 6 months two days ago was was exclusively breastfed until today!

    Like you, I chose to skip the cereals and go straight into vegetables. He had his first tasting of sweet potatoes. I made a puree at home and added breast milk until it was the consistency that I wanted it. I made so much that I have enough to last me at least a month!

    He had his first feeding after nursing. Although he sure loved playing with the spoon, he didn't care so much for the sweet potato. I ended up putting some on my finger to get him to eat it. He had a few nibbles, but not enough that I would say it was a meal, let alone a snack.

    We'll try again tomorrow and two more days with the sweet potato, and then either bananas or green beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! What a fun experience for both of you. My son was exactly the same way. Food was for playing, not eating.

    Congrats- first foods are such a fun milestone. Also, great job on taking the time to make sure he gets the best nutrition.

    You are AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete